Joe Miller is an English-born beatmonger, influenced in equal measure by heaving clubs and the earthy melancholy of forests.
He grew up in Australia, where he learned to craft sets that are whimsical and left-field, evoking a sense of place. In 2013 he delivered us one of the most exquisite mixes you will ever find, a beautiful pastiche of tracks new and old expertly weaved together. Since then, Joe has released music on labels ranging from All Day I Dream, to Manual Music, and many more. Make sure to watch out for his upcoming release on our own Dawn Till Dusk imprint.
Joe’s schedule this year has included headline sets in Miami and New York, to be followed by his debut in Vietnam, as well as an upcoming back to back set with Jamie Stevens at Melbourne’s upcoming Chi Wow Wah Town festival. As expected, Joe’s mix is an adventurous narrative that will keep you hooked from the start to the end.
For Joe’s original Balance Community mix click here , and checkout the video:
What have you been up to since your last mix for us?
It’s been a long time now! I was only just starting with music production back then, and since the Balance Community mix I’ve released three EPs, a bunch of remixes, and a collaboration with Jamie Stevens on All Day I Dream. I’ve also moved to Melbourne, played my first international gigs, and released mixes for DJ Mag, Magician on Duty, Bespoke, and lots of other colourful podcast series.
What are some of your upcoming projects you can tell us about?
I’ve got an EP coming out with Sound Avenue next month (including an incredible remix by Jamie Stevens). The A-side is called ‘The Last of the Great Days’ (after a line from the Caretaker’s sleevenotes), and I’ve used the original version of that track in this mix. Jamie Stevens and I have collaborated on nearly an album’s worth of material now, and three of our tracks are coming out soon on Dawn till Dusk, Balance’s new sister-label.
Apart from that, I’m doing an ambient VA release with two of my favourite Australian artists, Badskin (Carla Oliver) and Josh Warry. It’s kind of a vanity project, something that’s purely about making a beautiful product with no expectation of recouping the costs. It’ll feature artwork by the English photographer Kat Mager (who did the cover art for Holden and the Animal Spirits’ 2017 LP), and mastering by American Taylor Deupree (one of whose tracks I used as a tool in my first Balance mix).
Lastly, I’ve got something a bit different coming out on Oleeva’s next VA compilation, then a frantic sprint to finish another mix, two EPs and some international collabs before Christmas!
Which artists/producer/Djs have you been enjoying of late?
Powel, Iain Howie, Jean Caillou, Haider Uppal (keep an eye on him), Yoni Yarchi, Bantwanas, Russian Linesman (re-discovering old releases), Caterina Barbieri, Memorial Home, Primal Code, Kas:st, and on and on…
And if you can only play us one of your productions which one would it be and why?
I think the remix I did for Jean Caillou on Magician on Duty – it’s a very simple track, but it sums up the feelings I’ve been trying to get across lately.
Balance Selections 105: Joe Miller
1. The 13th Floor Elevators – May the Circle Remain Unbroken [International Artists]
2. Pye Corner Audio – Nostalgia Pills [Ghost Box]
3. Kings of Convenience – My Ship Isn’t Pretty [Virgin]
4. Thomas Fehlmann – Chapter D (main) [Kompakt]
5. Buffy Sainte-Marie – Little Wheel Spin And Spin [Vanguard]
6. Ralph Vaughan Williams – The Lark Ascending [EMI]
7. Cull and Failr – Intro [Inertia Access]
8. Squire – Inimagina [All Day I Dream]
9. Fink – Make It Good (Tennis & Tale Of Us Remix) [Life and Death]
10. Iain Howie – Trees [Rhombus]
11. Yoni Yarchi – Don’t Think Loud [Loot]
12. Nukreative – Equanimity (Jamie Stevens Deep Blue Remix) [Magician on Duty]
13.Portable Sunsets – rm R [Atomnation]
14. Johnick – Johnick Planet [Henry Street]
15. Active Child – Johnny Belinda (Dave DK Pacific Coast Instrumental) [Subtract]
16. Thom Yorke – Not the News [XL]
17. Dark Sky – Hequon [50 Weapons]
18. Velvet Girl – Walking In Sunshine (Philippe Van Mullem Remix) [Bonzai Classics]
19. Asten – Seashell Song (Joe Miller Remix) [Interlude]
20. Wartz – Show Me That Light (Cleric Vocal Tool) [Clergy]
21. Sunrom – Guru (Matt Karmil Remix) [Slowciety]
22. Rimer London – Ant Migration [Dekmantel]
23. Modeselektor – All Buttons In feat. Thom Yorke [Monkeytown]
24. Russian Linesman – How Can the Sky Be So Beautiful When We Have Been So Bad? (Aiden Remix) [Loki]
25. Tibi Dabo – Her Moon [Crosstown Rebels]
26. Awyn Ayo – Here & Now [Self-released]
27. Janus Rasmussen – 14 (Olaf Stuut Remix) [Ki]
28. Jack Burton – Beacon of Light [Analogue Attic]
29. Floating Points – Kites [Luaka Bop]
30. Benedikt Frey – Gravel [ESP Institute]
31. Wild Dark – The Slide [Do Not Sit on the Furniture]
32. Underworld – Two Months Off [Junior Boy’s Own]
33. Late Nite Tuff Guy – I Get Deeper [Tuff Cut]
34. Pale Blue – Acid Waves [2MR]
35. Joe Miller – The Last of the Great Days [Sound Avenue]
36. Ejeca – Beacon (Locked Groove Remix) [Yom Tum]
37.Dusky – Square Miso (Reprise) [17 Steps]
38. Yukno – Hund (Aparde Remix) [Yukno the Records]
39. Primal Code – Morgana [Hypnus]
40. Patricia – Static Scene [Opal Tapes]
41. Aïsha Devi – Hakken Dub (IVVVO Mix) [Danse Noire]
42. Phil Kieran – Le Carrousel [Phil Kieran Recordings]
43. DJ Counselling – Be Here Now [Constant Circles]
44. Bantwanas, Korus – Izingane feat. Korus [All Day I Dream]